THE SWEAR JAR CONTEST
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES AND REGULATIONS
Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) and governed by Canadian Law
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY: The Swear Jar Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Hotels.com LP (the “Sponsor”). The Contest starts at 12:00:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) on February 15, 2017 and closes at 11:59:59 PM ET on March 15, 2017 or once all ten (10) prizes are awarded (see rule 6), whichever comes first (the “Contest Period”). All times are Eastern Times.
- ELIGIBILITY: To enter the Contest and be eligible to win, a person (“Entrant”) must, at the time of entry, be a legal resident of Canada (excluding Quebec) who has reached the age of majority in the province/territory in which he/she resides. Specifically excluded from entering the Contest are: (i) employees, shareholders, officers, directors, agents, representatives, and advertising and promotional agencies of the Sponsor, the independent contest organization, and each of their respective subsidiaries and affiliates; and (ii) a member of any such person’s immediate family (regardless of where they live) or persons with whom they are domiciled (whether related to the person or not). In these Official Rules, “immediate family” includes mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, partners or spouses.
- HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST: To enter the Contest, visit WinterSwearJar.com (the “Contest Website”) during the Contest Period and complete the entry form (the “Entry Form”) with your full name and a valid e-mail address. Next, confirm compliance with the Official Rules and indicate if you would like to start receiving future e-mail updates and other communications from the Sponsor (optional). Upon doing so, click the “Submit” button and you will receive one (1) entry (the “Entry”) into the draw which will take place once the Swear Jar has been filled and reached $1,000 (see rule 3). Entries must be received on or before 11:59:59 PM (ET) on March 15, 2017 or before all ten (10) prizes have been awarded (see rule 6), whichever comes first (the “Contest Close Date”).
There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person during the Contest Period. You may only use one (1) e-mail address to enter the Contest. In the event it is determined that an Entrant has entered in a fashion not sanctioned by these Official Rules and/or has submitted more than one (1) Entry as permitted by these Official Rules, the Entrant may be disqualified and all of the Entries submitted by the Entrant may be disqualified. Entries generated by script, macro, robotic, programmed, or any other automated means are prohibited and will be disqualified. If it is discovered that you attempted to enter more than once, only the first Entry will be considered a valid entry.
- TWITTER FORMAT AND CONTENT REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be in English;
- Must include one of the Acceptable Swear Words;
- Must include one of the Acceptable Winter Words;
- Must not be a re-tweet;
- Must not tweet the same content more than once;
- be intended for family audience viewing and contain only content that, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsor, is suitable for all persons, including persons under the age of 13;
- not contain any nude, sexually explicit, disparaging, discriminatory, libelous or other inappropriate content of any kind whatsoever;
- not contain any content that promotes any product or service other than that of the Sponsor;
- not contain any language suggesting or encouraging illegal activity;
- not contain anything that infringes or that may infringe anyone’s rights, including intellectual property rights;
- not contain any personal information;
- not contain any identifiable third party products and/or trade-marks, brands, logos or copyright, other than those of the Sponsor.
- not contain any copyrighted works (other than as owned by the eligible Entrant) or third party content that may be subject to and protected by intellectual property laws, including but not limited to music, artwork, video
- contain entirely original materials that have never before been distributed, shown publicly or published, or selected as a winner in any other contest;
- not contain any reference to or likeness of identifiable third parties, unless consent has been obtained from all such individuals and such individuals are of the age of majority.
- GRAND PRIZE: There will be one (1) prize available to be won each time the Swear Jar is filled (see rule 4) up to a maximum of ten (10) prizes (each a “Prize”) and a minimum of one (1) Prize. Each Prize consists of one (1) $1,000.00 (CDN) Hotels.com e-gift card (the “E-Gift Card”). The E-Gift Card is redeemable only at www.hotels.com/gc for prepaid bookings at eligible hotels. The E-Gift Card balance will be reduced by the amount of each purchase. If a purchase exceeds the balance, the difference must be paid with other payment method accepted by Hotels.com. Only one E-Gift Card can be redeemed per online booking. Multiple E-Gift Cards may be combined into one E-Gift Card by contacting customer support at 1-888-999-4468. Gift Cards cannot be used for the following:
- Bookings paid for at the hotel location or using the Pay Later option online
- Bookings made over the phone
- Package bookings (i.e. hotel + flight)
- Bookings made through Group Travel Services
- Bookings made prior to receipt of the gift card
You may not use an E-Gift Card to purchase other Gift Cards. The E-Gift Card must be accepted as awarded and is neither transferable nor convertible into cash. Unused E-Gift Cards may not be transferred. E-Gift cards must be redeemed using the same currency as loaded on the card. There is a limit of one (1) Prize per person during the Contest Period.
- DRAW: One (1) random draw will be held within three (3) business days from the day the Swear Jar is filled (see rule 3) (the “Draw Date”) at approximately 11:00 AM ET in Oakville, ON to determine the selected Entrant for the one (1) prize from among all eligible Entries received during the applicable Swear Jar Period repeated until all ten (10) Swear Jars have been filled or the Contest Close Date. In the event the Swear Jar does not reach $1,000.00 by the Contest Close Date, the Sponsor will conduct one (1) random draw from among all eligible Entries received to award one (1) Prize (see rule 4). The odds of being selected depend on the Swear Jar being filled and the total number of eligible Entries received by the end of each applicable Swear Jar Period. The selected Entrant will be contacted by e-mail within five (5) business days of the Draw Date. If the selected Entrant (a) cannot be reached by e-mail within three (3) business days of the Draw Date; (b) fails to correctly answer the skill testing question (see rule 8); or (c) fails to return the properly executed Release Form within the specified time (see rule 8), then he/she will be disqualified and another Entrant will be randomly selected from among the Entries received during the applicable Swear Jar Period until such time as contact is made by e-mail with a selected Entrant or there are no more eligible Entries, whichever comes first. The Sponsor will not be responsible for failed attempts to contact a selected Entrant.
- To be declared a Prize winner, the selected Entrant must answer correctly, without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a mathematical skill-testing question. The selected Entrant will also be required to sign a Declaration and Release Form (the “Release Form”) confirming compliance with the Official Rules, acceptance of the Prize as awarded, without substitution, and releasing the Sponsor, its dealers, agents, affiliated and related companies, advertising and promotional agencies, the independent contest organization and their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees, agents, dealers, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any liability in connection with the Prize or this Contest. The Release Form must be returned within the time period specified on the Release Form or the Prize may be forfeited. Upon receipt of the completed Release Form and of the skill testing question correctly answered, the Prize will be e-mailed to the winner to the e-mail address entered on the Entry Form within 2-4 weeks.
- By entering and accepting the Prize, the winner consents to the use of his/her name, address (city and province/territory) and/or photograph without further remuneration, in connection with any publicity carried out by or on behalf of the Sponsor with respect to the Contest.
- To the extent permitted by law, the Releasees accept no responsibility for loss, damage or claims caused by or resulting from the Contest or acceptance of the Prize. The Releasees will not be liable for any failure of the Contest Website, do not assume any responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, printing errors, lost, delayed or garbled data or transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer lines or networks, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof. In the event of a dispute, Entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of Entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the person who is assigned an e-mail address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. If the identity of an Entrant is disputed, the authorized account holder associated with the e-mail account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the Entrant. A selected Entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the selected entry name change. The sole determinant of the time for the purposes of a valid entry in this Contest will be the Contest server machine(s).
- If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, such as tampering, the Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or amend the Contest and conduct a draw from all previously received eligible entries received. The Sponsor and the independent contest organization shall not be held responsible for any problems, errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest, including, but not limited to, any damage to an Entrant’s computer equipment, system, software or any combination thereof, as a result of the Entrant’s participation in this Contest.
- No correspondence will be entered into except with the selected Entrant. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial/territorial and municipal laws.
- In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of these Official Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials including, but not limited to: the Entry Form, Contest Website, and/or point of sale, television, print or online advertising; the terms and conditions of these Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control.